Saturday, June 11, 2016

Logs and Sawmills

When we bought this house there was a big pine tree in the back yard. It was nice and all but there is no grass in the yard. The roots of the tree were reaching the foundation of the house. Of course Shane wanted to cut it down. I was a bit sad but i get it. I kind of like the foundation of the house much more than the shade of the tree. I wrote about the cutting down of the tree earlier. We ended up with some really beautiful logs. Shane has a friend in our ward, ironically enough named Shane. I will call him Shane D. He loves to work with wood and makes some really lovely things. The idea with the logs was to find someone who could saw up the logs and make some good lumber for us.

My Shane works with a man who has a brother who has a portable saw mill. So the plans were set and made....what comes after this is a ton of wonder from my boys and their dad.









Yes people that is a portable saw mill in our driveway. We ended up with a mass of wonderful wood now in the yard. It is absolutely lovely.

If we ever get really hungry we have some wood to sell. It will take a year or so for this to all cure and be usable. Its lovely and smells so good when you go outside and sit by it. We had invited the Young Men to come but nobody showed up and that was too bad. Really too bad. Sometimes we are given awesome opportunities and we pass them up for "play". It was so nice of this man to come to our house, take time out of his day, and work with us. We paid him, but the payment to our children's learning was much more than we can ever repay.

I am so grateful for Shane and all of the shenanigans he gets us into. Our kids have learned so much in their lives. They spend time doing outdoors things with him and indoor things with me. I like the balance we have. I love the stories they have when they come back from hunting with him. The spirituality they gain from being with him and learning from him. I fear I am quite inadequate when it comes to teaching my children, but I certainly try. 

Goes to show the talents we have are important. We should embrace them and share what we have to grow the generations. I love having Shane as the father of our home. He is....I have no words.....He just is....

What about you? What have you learned from in life? What about the man in your life teaching  your children...Fathers day is coming what are you doing that is special for him? A meal, a card, a love note..anything to show your appreciation for his contribution to your life. 

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Oh my goodness man........that is incredible. What a wonderful opportunity for you guys. That machine is something else alright. My kids would've loved having that in our front yard. Love you.