Sunday, January 15, 2017

Christmas, Baby News

I have been waiting to make the post about Christmas at our house. One of the main reasons is that we all knew Brenda was expecting and I didnt want to let it out. She asked me not to say anything until she was comfortable so I had to keep quiet. Alas, that is why the blogging stopped for a bit. I was excited but a bit apprehensive about becoming a grandmother. Pregnancy for me was not fun, it was uncomfortable to say the least. In any case, here is my Christmas to now blog.

We have a tradition in our family on Christmas Eve the kids get to go to the store and pick out something they want to eat and we sit down and eat it. This tradition started mostly because we did not have much money to begin with. So one year we gave each kid $5 at the store and said get what you want. It had to be enough to share with everyone. Then we would come home prepare it, eat and watch Christmas movies. Every year as been different, one year was all cereal, one year was all snack foods, one year was all chinese food...you get the picture. So this year because we have Skyler added to our family the decision was made we would still do the food thing but we would open gifts for the married couple on that night so on Christmas they can do as they wish and do not feel like they need to be at our house. Shane and I dont want our married children to feel like they have to visit us on Christmas if they dont want too. It should be a day for their family. So we decided a long time ago to make different arrangements.

Needless to say we drew names a few weeks before. Everyone put their name in a hat and we got who we got. Then Shane and I would do stockings for everyone and that would be Christmas for us with the married children. I cant remember who got whom all i know is Jakob got Brenda, that is important to remember.....

On to food...Skyler went to Italy on his mission so he made us this delicious lasagna...i could have eaten it for days and days....there was a half a pan left at the end, apparently he ate the rest the next day. If you have never had real Italian food i highly recommend it. Skyler is an amazing cook, good thing cause Brenda leaves something to be desired..just kidding Brenda, you are okay (sort of)

We had egg rolls, burritos, taquitos as well this year. But the lasagna...yummm delicious. Another reason to love Skyler 

Then we sat down and watched National Lampoons Christmas Vacation. Shane is not one for most Christmas movies. The kids would have loved to watch Elf but Shane WILL NOT watch that one. They watch it when dad isnt around. It was nice to just lay around watch a movie and enjoy time. 

I am the one who does all of the stocking stuff every year. This year I asked Shane to help me out. I didnt want to do it all myself. So we came up with a plan. We went to WinCo and went to the candy buckets and got each kid a pound or so of the kind of candy they like. Then Shane went to our favorite place to get pepperoni and bought enough for everyone to get a pound or so. We also made a big batch of hot chocolate mix so Brenda and Sky could take it home and have some and so the kids could have some here. Stockings were fun this year. We decided for the married kids a visa gift card would suffice as they could use it for whatever was needed, whenever they needed it. It seems like a good thing for them. I constantly surprised at how my kids are so low key. They were just so excited to have candy. On the same day Shane and I went for the candy we stopped at Costco and i found a box of Belgian Chocolate, we bought those as well and we sat around and shared them on Christmas. it was awesome. 
I know John got Sky and this gift was in the fridge for a week....Ferrero Rocher, apparently Sky was happy....Brenda hands off.


And Jake got Brenda...he got her some baby blankets, they had to be soft Jake said and some socks with monsters on them. 

As a side note on Jake buying Brendas gift. We went to Walmart to look around and Jake took his time buying just the right ones. He really wanted to make sure they were perfect. It was really sweet. i told him the baby is going to be born in August so he needed something that was light and easy that she could use. The blankets are green with little giraffes on them (I think) and they are the ones you use for burp cloths or wrapping the baby or whatever...The socks were just the icing on the cake. He saw them and couldnt resists. Now our limit on the buying of gifts is 10$ or so, but he went over. He wanted perfection. It was sweet. And you can see from Brendas face she was really happy. There may have been a tear from one or the other at some point. Skyler is a quiet guy and doesnt always show emotion but he was all smiles when those gifts came out. 
Jakes gift was a car to paint and put together

Makayla got a necklace which is lovely I think Skyler got her name

I had Laura and she really just wanted make up so make up she got

Dad got John and the running joke is Homney...When John acts up or is a smart mouth he has to eat it, he is NOT a fan, so he got Homney and then dad got him some stuff he likes...SPAM of course...

Makayla had dad and she wrapped his up quite well...it took a while to unwrap but slippers were the prize. it was fun to watch. 


Shane thought it would be funny to booby trap Brenda and Skylers stocking...just watch it, enjoy...she is a funny girl. The best part is hearing Skyler laugh. 

Over all it was a fun Christmas. The next day we got up and just opened gifts which were very minimal this year and enjoyed our time as a family. It was nice to be together. They all got about 1 or 2 gifts a piece and it was nice. 
Our sweet friend Darla gave these blankets to the kids. They have them everywhere they go now. I swear they are on them all the time. I love it. They always have some comment about how much Darla and Michael love them. What a glorious gift to have from them for the children.






Our tree before....
About a week after Christmas their Grandma Henrie gave them gift of cereal. They were so excited. It was a great gift for them. They got together extra money and bought extra milk so they could pig out during vacation on cereal. It was a tough vacation as well with lots of snow and cold weather. Cereal made all the difference. 

Shane and I were discussing the simplicity of our Christmas and how nice it was. It was great to have the day with Brenda and Skyler to talk about the baby coming. My kids are so excited to become aunts and uncles. It is going to be a wonderful time this year. We have a lot to look forward too and there is much excitement in the air about our new addition. I am still up in the air about what i want to be called. I DO NOT like Grandma or Grammy. I also am not a fan of Nana. A friend said i should go Mo... i am thinking on that one. It is a nickname that many have called me over the years. Only one person out here in Idaho calls me that but it hasnt caught on with anyone else. People in Maine have called me that for years. Sometimes some of my siblings call me that as well. Shane well the running joke is he is going to be Grand-pappy...John calls him pappy and has for a long time. When we heard of Brendas pregnancy Grand-pappy became a running joke. 

As for Brenda she is doing well. I worry but i am the mother. I dont have any feedback from my mother about her pregnancies, i went to another source for help but was quickly shut down. I have to stand firm in the fact that I know my mother is watching over her and helping her, just like she helped me through my pregnancies. Its going to be good, in the end its going to be great.....


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so excited for Brenda and your family. Being a grandma is the most wonderful thing. I go by G-ma. Whatever you choose to be called will be perfect for you. It's going to be a great year.
Love ya,
Karla

Unknown said...

It won't matter what baby calls you! The first time that sweet child recognizes you and assigns you your special name (my mom is tete) nothing else in the world will matter one bit! hugs!

Melissa said...

Such great news.

Harlin Family said...

Such exciting new about Brenda!! Looks like a great Christmas for your family. I love that you blog so I can catch up on what is going on with you guys. BTW, I just looked up words used for grandma in Scotland. You've already thought of that I bet. However, from what I read they use some of the words you don't love, like Nana and Granny. What about Gran or Nan. Someone mentioned those but they may be too close to the ones you don't like. You'll figure it out and find something you love to hear that little voice say. How exciting! You'll be an awesome, whatever you end up wanting to be called. ;) Love you!