Sunday, August 10, 2014

Gowen Field, Marines, Tanks

Today we went to Gowen Field to hang out with our buddy Kip. There is a family day at the base apparently and we were invited. Kip and Shane are brothers in every sense of the word. Last year when Shane was having surgery Kip was there every day...EVERY DAY. It was a rough time for me. Sometimes sitting in the hospital with Shane gave me anxiety  that would be so overwhelming. Then Kip would show up and tell me to chill and take care of everything. I could go and eat and have a few minutes to myself. Kip is a Doc on the base. He is a medic. It was a joy to be there with him to day as his family. While we were there we saw my new nephew Owen (last post). It was great. In any case, the boys went wild and got to be on tanks, trucks, and whatever they wanted to see......

Below are some of the pics I got. I need to be better at picture taking but I think you can see the elation on their face. All the while they were on the tanks the boys told me about my Uncle Ron and him talking to them about the tanks he "made for England". I was surprised they remembered but they did. The boys were so excited to spend time there. 

hanging out in the big rig


  jake loved this one cause it was called the Nasty Pig

Jake peeking out of the tank



 Two men inside a tank



 girls and tanks? you bet




 feeling like the big guy on the base
caught a pic of Kip showing the boys the joys of Marine life?!



It was a busy day, first day in our new ward (another post) and visiting Kip on the base as well as visiting a friend who had some surgery. We are all a bit tired and burned but I cant tell you how much of a delight it is to hear Kip introduce Shane as his brother. I know he means it. I know how much Kip and his wife love us. It is so comforting to know that wherever we are in this cursed valley we have people who love us. I have struggled with today with all of the changes in my life but all in all, it was nice to have the distraction.

How about you? Do you have comfort in knowing how much you are loved? Do you have a mental list of those who are close to you that no matter where you are you know you can call them? I have some, hell i have a list. So no matter how alone I have felt in this last few weeks I know I am loved, I am important to others....you may be reading this and if you are, you are on my list.......

2 comments:

Harlin Family said...

Your boys look like they are made for the military life.:) Look at the smiles on their faces! I look forward to hearing about your first Sunday in the new ward. Miss seeing you beautiful face here though!

Melissa said...

What Rachelle said ;)