Sunday, April 13, 2014

Glorious, Momentous, Unrecognizable

So you know how my last post was about finding joy? Well it would seem that everything I have done in the days since have somehow pointed me to reasons for joy, happiness, looking forward, not feeling down. I have been pondering a lot the meaning of Easter to me. If you are not a religious person feel free to frown grumble and tell me I am brainwashed I am good with it. But it works for me. I think in some way we find what works for us individually within our lifetime. Some its a love of God and His Son, others its finding a way for peace to reside in the world, or making beauty with art (of which I have not a bit of talent in). I find joy all of my friends and family with all of their different views on life. So bear with me...

I found an interesting clip today as I was looking through my FaceBook feed:
http://youtu.be/_S3TI4bYerU

Now enter at your own risk but its only about 2 mins or so and it got me to thinking about where do I find joy in my life. (Sorry non religious peeps here it comes read at your own risk) Over the past week I have come to find that what the Lord gives he can take in an instant, what the Lord gives he can compound to the most glorious of moments, what the Lord gives he can make even momentous and almost unrecognizable of a sign that you may miss it. What do I mean? Well here is a bit of what I mean.
I was given the pleasure of watching a dear woman take pictures of my family. She wanted me in this photo but it is more poignant to me with out me in it. Why? Well I have a photo of my hubs with all of my children walking away from me at some point in their lives. The connection between a father and his children is so important. One of the things I asked of my hubs when I got married was that he would guide and comfort my children, be the girls 1st boyfriend, the boys hero. This is the culmination of that for me. Look at my girls all connected to their dad. My sons wanting to be just like him following in his foot steps. If he were gone tomorrow I know that he has accomplished his duty as a man of God to guide, love, support and be a constant source of strength in their lives. 

I think of my friend Mari, I wonder does she feel this way about her beloved who left in an instant? Someday I will ask her (in a few months over cake, tears and maybe a Hugh Jackman film). My heart was so full as I attended her beloved husbands service. I knew in one single moment that what the Lord sees fit to give He can take just as easily, and I would be ok with that. He certainly knows more than I, being stubborn and often impartial to many things, I would be ok, because He loves me. He, Heavenly Father, would not leave me alone, although I would feel alone, I would have the Comforter to support me. I love that aspect of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, you are never EVER alone. 

Glorious moments are moments like this
As I got out of my car at 10pm last night from work tired and wanting to go to sleep i noticed that the sky was beautiful. The full moon was out, the shadows were laying across the earth in such beautiful poses I was in awe of its splendor. My camera on my phone does not do this justice but as I took the photo i noticed the star like appearance of the moon. Watching over me as I labor in this frustrating life I am in. I work in 2 different places 6 days a week. I know that I am not alone. I have often felt the presence of my mother, brother and grandmother within my life. They are all dead and yet I know they watch over me, give me comfort, cheer for me, cry with me and love me when I dont love myself. Lets face it there are times we dont love ourselves for me that is more often than I would like to admit. I know there is a level of depression in my family and I have to be very careful to not go down a road that will push me into a dark place. But looking at the moon and seeing the beauty of what God has given me to watch and see can often bring me too my knees in gratitude for all that I have. Oh picts of my gratitude? Well thanks for askin
Unrecognizable signs are the ones that get me...Like watching a mourning woman, prompting her to drink water (which I stood behind her and held for over an hour) knowing that she has not yet felt the full sorrow yet to arrive. Talking to her daughter and telling her the way I felt when my mom was gone...just gone...and I could do nothing about it. Letting that sweet child know that I saw myself in her and that she was going to be ok, not great but ok. Laughing with my sweet sister who drove 8 hours to see me, to be with ME, to love me no matter how obnoxious I am. Being able to be myself, which is actually very guarded to others, she can see through all of the bulls&*t and make me talk and complain and it never leaves the 2 of us. I have sisters who know me for who I am, who have known me all of my life, and can call me out when I need it. I love that about them. They call me or text me and give me time, time that I feel so unqualified for. You know you have some of those in your life too so think about it...when do those moments bring you joy.

Almost unreal was going to Stake Conference today and hearing a talk completely focused on JOY, HAPPINESS, SMILING and PERSPECTIVE. This man who plays a mean game of softball and is not a small man with a loud voice, spoke about Christ and his sermons. How Christ set forth joy and love as 2 of the most important aspects of life. Love of others, ones self, kindness, charity....all things I try to work on daily. This man spoke of how a smile makes everyone happy, look at someone in the next 24 hours and just smile, a sincere smile and see what happens in return, you may be surprised. 

So the signs I receive may be different than yours, and these are just a few in my week. What are the moments in your week which bring you joy? Maybe you cant find any...sometimes I find them in the "leaning tower of boyfriend" the new name I call the boy dating my daughter, while I watch  my 11 year old son read a Tom Clancy novel and there is a moment of peace between my 15 and 14 year old. Or maybe its in the fact that I perfected a sponge cake with a fruit glaze and whipped topping (made from dry milk and it wasnt gross)

Go find some JOY...








3 comments:

Melissa said...

Hey I just watched this video and loved it so much I put it on my blog. Crazy. Love those pics. I want a copy of the kids and where's my copy of you and Brenda? So they're officially dating now? What the crap. One week and everything's changed.

Harlin Family said...

This was a great post that caused me to pause and think. A good reminder to look at the Lords hand in my life and the blessings I have. I'm going to find some joy right now! :)(Maybe I'll post about it too.)

Jenniflower said...

Awesome message!! Finding joy can be really hard but its totally worth it to find it and relish in it for as long as you can!! Happy joy hunting!!