Sunday, April 6, 2014

Serving the neighbor

For those of you who dont know this week end was General Conference of our church. Its when all us Mormons get a chance to sit down and listen to our leaders give us some guidance and maybe some laughs. Ok for those of you who are Mormon I will from now on use proper lingo....We are Latter-day Saints. Either way, what ever you know us by, know that for me I needed this weekend to give me not only a day off but some time with my family. It seems to be the one weekend a year when we can hang together and have some fun.

There are 2 hour blocks of time to watch and then 2 hours of off time. So yesterday in between the first and 2nd session we did a bit of a project for the neighbor across the street. OH ya I took some pictures.
 

 


so these were some of the pictures I took. There is a bit of video also of them bringing down a limb(but i couldnt get it to work ugh computers). Yes they all had a super time and enjoyed  hanging out with dad. The hubs on the other hand enjoyed getting out his saws and firing them up. It was nice to spend time helping someone else. The most exciting part was getting free cherry wood to smoke with this summer. This made our neighbor excited cause he will be the recipient of some delicious smoked meat this summer.

As I watched all this happen I was amazed at how quickly my kids jumped in to help get everything done. Work has been an important part of their lives. As parents we spent a lot of time teaching them to work for whatever they wanted. I must say as an aside i am super, duper lazy and wish my husband did not have the drive he has. He can work from sun up to sun down doing things that I certainly do not find necessary at all. I mean really who wants to chop wood like a maniac for hours and then stack the damned stuff? NOT I...but alas my husband can do it all day. We now have a back yard with a pile of wood which needs to dry out before making some deliciousness...I will keep you posted on that.

Helping others is a huge part of our lives. I cannot count how many times we as a family have taken the time to help others. Somehow it always comes back to bless us in the end, I am not sure how and cannot explain it but it does. My kids dont fight or argue. They take time to make sure everyone is ok and taken care of. The work they did for the neighbor could have taken all day instead it took 1.5 hours and the cost was nothing for the neighbor (the quoted cost for him was $3500 a ridiculous amount of money).

Some people have commented to my hubs and I that we make our kids work too much. I get a lot of "dont you think they need to have kid time?" What the hell is kid time? They get plenty of time to play. My hubs has always taken the time to play with the children on the floor. He has always taken the time to go fishing, hunting, walking in the woods, shooting, whatever it may be to play. Work it important. It is the backbone of life. Everyone has to work (oh it sucks sometimes and I hate it) but its important. I got a job when I was 15 and by the time I was 19 I had 2 jobs working hard to earn what money I could. I paid my bills, bought my car, paid insurance etc. I had good parents who made me take responsibility for life. (dont tell them that I will lie about it) Working is a part of us and there is nothing we can do about it. I think that the ethic we have taught our children is a good thing. They know that life is hard and will be but if they can work they can make it through. They may not be rich or make a ton of money but they will know how to serve and provide for others. Pretty good I would say.

Ya this post is not as cool as others, mostly because the hubs has been talking non-stop to me and I cant concentrate on what I want to say. I just wanted to put down some thoughts of today. I didnt put in the stuff about Conference that will be for another day another blog. 

3 comments:

Dorri said...

What a great example your two are setting for you kids.

Harlin Family said...

That's awesome!

emt8385 said...

I want a ton of smoked meat this summer