Thursday, April 3, 2014

Go Fly A Kite....(tear warning)

I dont know why I am surprised by my sons, but I am. John (11) and Jake (9) are becoming such men in my eyes. A few days ago a young father in our ward died unexpectedly. This father has 3 young sons (also a 12 year old daughter) The boys are my boys ages except for the youngest who is a toddler. The 2 middle boys are sweet boys and my sons have had them on their minds since they have heard of the death. Lots of questions about death, life, life after death, mom what was it like for you, sadness...anything you can think of. Then they saw one of the boys at the park and something happened I didnt expect.

I have been promising my sons to take them to the dollar store for days. Finally tonight I had to go to the grocery store to pick something up, happiness the dollar store is right next door. So I tell the boys lets go...they run to get ready. As we are in the car on the way over John says, Hey mom cant we get something for W and D? (I dont want to use their names as I do not have the mothers permission) I say well i dont have enough money tonight but maybe tomorrow we can come and figure something out. John says he brought his wallet and will gladly take care of the cost. (whos kid is this anyway?) We scurry into the pharmacy/grocery store and they disappear to the cards. They find just the right card, a beautiful sympathy one and some Jelly Bellys for the boys to have. (Seriously who doesnt love jelly bellys????) This is a bag with 40 different kinds. What the heck lets do this boys, I say.

I buy the items and we move to the dollar store quickly there isnt much time its getting late and I dont want to show up at this families door really late.

As an aside I must put in here that the mother has asked to see no visitors and I cant blame her. I think to myself I cannot show up at her door, it would be so rude. So I am thinking how do we deliver this thing, what am I going to do....well more on that in a minute

My sons immediately find something for both W and D. Jake is drawn to some small balls with super heroes on them. This familys theme to me is Super Heroes, the mom does a blog and super heroes has been a steady part of her blog. Jake picks up this ball and says Mom I think H would love this ball, it would remind him that his dad is his hero (H is about 2ish) Thats right people go ahead and bawl, because i am sitting here know doing it. I couldnt in the store I said you know you are right bud, his dad IS his hero.

In the same aisle John found 2 kites, Jake found some cereal (because all boys need cereal when they feel crappy or sad according to him) some candy and I put in a box of tissues as I am sure they are needed. The boys found a gift bag and we went and paid. John said hey mom I got this...takes out his wallet to pay, I cant let him do it, I pay and he hugs me and says Mom, I am sorry it was so hard for you. (SERIOUSLY WHERE did these kids come from) We leave the store, both boys sign the card and we are off.

I found the house (I had never been there before) and off they go to the front door. I stand back and watch, what unfolds is something I cannot describe. They knock, its dark and a light appears in the cracked door frame. My boys say Hey we were hoping this gift would bring you some fun...The joy I heard from D and W about the kite make my heart soar. In a time of such trial, sorrow and grief, the joy of a child can overwhelm your heart. The smiles I saw from afar, the peace and joy on their faces from a small token of love was more than I could contain. My sons amaze me in their thoughts of others. Is this what a priesthood holder is? Is this what benevolence and kindness are? Is this the makings of men from my home? How have they found in themselves an ability to give more than they have? I surely am not a good preacher of such things as I want so much and wish constantly for more. The small squeals of joy from that little dollar store bag brought more joy to my sons than I had expected.

On the short (they only live a few blocks away) ride home John said I hope they get to fly their kites and the sadness will go away. Jake said its like Mary Poppins Lets Go Fly a Kite. They both giggled and began to sing the song. OH WHAT you dont know it.... well here is a link


I know how much this family loves music...

Like the song says Lets go fly a kite up to the highest heights....so I hope those boys can go fly a kite and and know that their father is watching them forever. Waiting to be with them and hold them again.

At the same time I have somehow gained these sons, who were hell to get here, these treasures were sent to me by a loving God who thought enough of me to take care of them. To somehow make them into men. Granted I have a lot of help, Shane is a great example. Shane has given them the tools to become men not only in the gospel but in the world. I may never know what happened after the door closed on that home but I hope that Jelly Bellys and the thoughts of flying a kite, brought some kid a bit of joy.

This post may not be as animated but i had to get it out...and if you havent had a chance go watch Mary Poppins and then go fly a kite!!!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Great post. We dropped something off yesterday but didn't knck. I hope they got it. My heart breaks for them. I'm glad the boys thought of some things they could do.

SherryT said...

Such little men! They have good example from both parents! Love ya

Harlin Family said...

I have no doubt you have something to do with your wonderful boys Moira! Thank you so much for sharing. It makes me smile to envision the Vanormer kids being happy for a moment during this hard time.
I've always been impressed with your boys. What a wonderful example they set. :)